Girls Sports Injuries - Overcoming Volleyball Knee

When I returned from Italy in 1998, I devoted all my time to give help to family and friends. That was because I, I felt guilty because I spent so much time away from home pursuing every professional volleyball opportunity that was offered to me.

At the beginning of the summer of 2006 I went to an MRI on both knees obtained. What an experience. Quite interesting.

You are placed on a cold plate and slowly rolled into this huge round tube incubator similar devices. YouEarplugs are given, because it makes a lot of noise while you are inside. Even before I had the results of my MRI ... My doctor gave me a referral to an orthopedist. At this point I would like to know that my work before me. The results on my left knee were as follows:
1. a tear of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus,

2. Chondromalacia patella (as I can this if I cannot pronounce!)
3. a small Baker's cyst
4. one focal subchondral sclerosis in the anteriorof the lateral femoral condyle (what! English please) and
5. Effusion

The report also includes some additional details as follows: Large joint effusion is noted, there is one of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus, while my medial meniscus is intact. Geez, is something that intact! Apparently the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are intact, but chondromalacia patella is seen. Otherwise, patella and patellar extensor mechanism is intact, but in addition there is aIdentified focal subchondral degenerative changes in the anterior part of the lateral femoral condyle. No, seriously, that sounds so impressive!

The results for my right knee was even more fun: Let's start with
1. Severe degenerative changes,
2. Tear of the anterior cruciate ligament (really, I never knew!)
3. Body of the lateral meniscus,
4. Loose body behind the lateral femoral condyle (I think it's something outstanding there somewhere.)
5. CommonEffusion

Of course it was not all that there was more information: sagittal, coronal and axial images show severe degenerative changes in both medial and lateral compartments of the knee with extensive osteophytes, and subchondral sclerosis and chondrmalacia. (Okay, what the ...?) The sagittal images show a complete ACL tear. (Wow, I never knew seriously ..). There is also a focal tear in the body of the lateral meniscus. The medialMeniscus is intact. (Oh, thanks be to God can be seen!) Patellofemoral degenerative changes and chondromalacia of the patella. A loose body (again) is established immediately behind the lateral femoral condyle. (In other words, it is a piece of bone or something in the circulation in my other knee!) This report concludes with the following. "Thank you for these patients relate to us!" (funny. very funny.)

So when I first opened the envelope and read the results that I just started to laugh. I could not stoplaughing. Then two days before I did my leg workout in the gym, which consisted of 140 lunges. That's 10 times in one direction 10 in the opposite direction 7 ... no breaks. Followed by squats. I have my usual 2 hours leg training which include Clean Pulls, Good Mornings, two different leg curl exercises, Toe Raises and cardio on the cross trainer.

I'm not quite sure what I laughed out loud. I did not know what to think or where to start ... I have always practiced and pushedme very hard. I never really mothered me. Basically, I thought if I could go and then I could run. And when I could not run away then I could drive me a bicycle. I always find a way to found to overcome the obstacle. I think I have anything to laugh at what I did in these last 17 years.

Nothing ever stopped me ... and that was fun.

I knew that I had only volleyball knee injury happened long ago. Major League Volleyball was the first Women's ProfessionalVolleyball league in the United States. I was the first round pick from one of the greatest baseball player ever selected ... Mary Jo Peppler to play for the New York Freedoms. During the game in Dallas I went to Spike, and when I arrived and my toes barely touched the floor I felt something was not right so I covered my body and not just trying to land on my two feet. As a result, I tore my ACL third. When I tried to land on my feet I would havecompletely torn ACL will mean.

I got two choices. Either I could have reconstructive surgery or I could live basically in the gym for the rest of my life. I live in the gym after a period of rehabilitation and the dreaded knee bandage. I knew that I was having to train for the rest of my life too much weight, the muscles around the back of the knee ACL hold my calf, my thighs and my butt would all remain strong in order to Compensationthe weak two thirds of the ACL, I still had. That was 17 years ago!

Somewhere between then and now, I mean totally GATES anterior cruciate ligament ... and not even know it! Life is hilarious!

I forgot to mention that due to my ACL injury, I missed the last three Major League Volleyball games of the season. But because the work ethic I was adopted and implemented before my injury I was elected to the first team All Pro team as well as the "Best Outside Hitter for the Left SideVolleyballl first major league season.

If there is one lesson I would say to Me: "If you could get a chance to practice to share and work hard ... Do it as if you never again the opportunity to do it again. Enter 110% on each repetition, each set to make ... a lot, because you never know what the outcome will be, and you never know when you get the chance to get it to do again.



April Chapple, editor / creator Volleyball Voices.com is the "Five Quick Tips" columnist for theAmerican Volleyball Coaches Association Coaching Volleyball magazine and numerous articles on playing and coaching elite volleyball.

April is the author of the e-books "99 Girls Volleyball Tips" and "How To Stop Serving Like a Wimp" Get your copy now able to reach april@volleyballvoices.com http://www.volleyballvoices.com April, or 702.277.4837.

No comments: